25 Books over Summer

• Alright, so I decided one day over the summer that I was

1. Done with wasting my time,
    2. Ready to stop procrastinating my pagan studies, and
    3. Wanted a good challenge,

so now I'm gonna read 25 books this summer, which ends a little more than two months from now. Currently I'm finishing Plato's Dialogues (I'm on Republic now), and then I will read Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius because I also have them in print. I'm a tad bit behind, but I'm still revving up and getting used to reading for long periods of time. I don't know what I will read after I'm done with those Greeks, I just know that I want to read Growth at some point as well as some of Evola. I am open to recommendations. I will post summaries/reviews/names of books I read when I get the time to on this thread, except for Plato's Dialogues which I have on this thread here.

• Antigone by Sophocles

Germania by Tacitus

Things I've read and recommend.

• @darthsigurd Republic is taking longer than expected, so book notes will be delayed.

• @sigurd-d-vinland There Lies a Fair Land: An Anthology of Norwegian-American Writing edited by John Solensten is divided into four sections: Land-Seeking and Settling, Voices from the Immigrant Trunk: A Sampler of Folk Tales Brought to the New World, Heritage: Images and Reflections in a Blue Sky, and Going Back: the Land and the Memory.
    I won't summarize every story in this book, but I will describe one of my favorite stories, which is Letters from a Norway Farm by Liese Greensfelder. This is in the fourth section of the book, and describes the story of a young American woman who is planning on studying nonindustrial farming methods throughout the Old World, beginning in Norway, since she spoke Danish already, but Danish farms were much more commercialized than those in Norway.
    So, she signs up through a Norwegian organization which helps get young people onto Norwegian farms, similar to WWOOF. She is set up with a 60 year old unmarried man named Johannes Hovland, and goes out to his small sheep east of Bergen. The plan was to move southward often over the next three years, but she ended up staying at the Hovland farm for the next two and a half years.
    As it turns out, Johannes was ill, and wanted Liese to take over the farm for him while he was gone, an offer she graciously accepted. The rest of the short story chronicles the early stages of her adaptation to rural farm life.
    I don't know if this book is available anywhere online, but if you can get ahold of it I would highly recommend doing so.

• The Golden Sayings of Epictetus translated by Hastings Crossley is a collection of sayings attributed to the Roman Stoic philosopher Epictetus, and as such is not easily summarize-able, nor would such a summary be particularly desirable or useful. Instead, I will recount some quotes that I found insightful/inspiring/interesting/etc.

C

In general, any methods of discipline applied to the body which tend to modify its desires or repulsions, are good - for ascetic ends. But if done for display, they betray at once a man who keeps an eye on outward show; who has an ulterior purpose, and is looking for spectators to shout, "Oh, what a great man!" This is why Apollonius so well said: "If you are bent upon a little private discipline, wait till you are choking with heat some day - then take a mouthful of cold water, and spit it out again, and tell no man!"

CXLI

Art thou then free? a man may say. So help me heaven, I long and pray for freedom! But I cannot look my masters boldly in the face; I still value the poor body; I still set much store on its preservation whole and sound.
    But I can point thee out a free man, that thou mayest be no more in search of an example. Diogenes was free. How so? Not because he was of free parentage (for that, indeed, was not the case), but because he was himself free. He had cast away every handle whereby slavery might lay hold upon him, nor was it possible for any to approach and take hold of him to enslave him. All things sat loose upon him - all things were to him attached by but slender ties. Hadst thou seized upon his possessions, he would rather have let them go than have followed thee for them -aye, had it been even a limb, or mayhap his whole body; and in like manner, relatives, friends, and country. For he knew whence they came - from whose hands and on what terms he had received them. His true forefathers, the Gods, his true Country, he never would have abandoned; nor would he have yielded to any man in obedience and submission to the one nor in cheerfully dying for the other. For he was ever mindful that everything that comes to pass has its source and origin there; being indeed brought about for the weal of that his true Country, and directed by Him in whose governance it is.

CLXXXVII

And now we are sending you to Rome to spy out the land; but none send a coward as such a spy, that, if he hear but a noise and see a shadow moving anywhere, loses his wits and comes flying to say, The enemy are upon us!
    So if you go now, and come and tell us: "Everything at Rome is terrible: Death is terrible, Exile is terrible, Slander is terrible, Want is terrible; fly, comrades! the enemy are upon us!" we shall reply, Get you gone, and prophesy to yourself! we have but erred in sending such a spy as you. Diogenes, who was sent as a spy long before you, brought us back another report than this. He says that Death is no evil; for it need not even bring shame with it. He says that Fame is but the empty noise of madmen. And what report did this spy bring us of Pain, what of Pleasure, what of Want? That to be clothed in sackcloth is better than any purple robe; that sleeping on the bare ground is the softest couch; and in proof of each assertion he points to his own courage, constancy, and freedom; to his own healthy and muscular frame. "There is no enemy near," he cries, "all is perfect peace!"

If you want to know Stoicism, read this (quite short) book.

• Spirit Dance Essays by William Edelen is an absolute meme. Written in '98, it is the ultimate fusion of New Age autism, anti-Christianity (remarkable, since the author purports to be an ordained minister), and Kali Yuga sensibilities. The first half or so is a collection of multiple page or two polemics, or rather rants, against Christianity, for all the expected reasons of mass deaths, misogyny, destruction of Native American Spirituality, and a more humorous and dare I say more legitimate reason of hypocrisy, one example being a Holy Brothel established by some pope in the middle ages (I couldn't find anything about it through a cursory search, so I can't vouch for its validity). This section is filled with quotes of big brained bibbas from history who dislike Christianity or organized religion in general, with a seeming emphasis on Einstein.

The rest of the book is primarily dedicated to the mystic woo woo New Age Wicca-tier shit, in essence. I'm sure you are all familiar with the platitudes ("All is one, everything is in complementary Yin-Yang balance which is why I exclusively praise the great Goddess and demonize 'phallic Christianity', etc"). There are also a few essays about how the first six presidents were Deists/Humanists/otherwise non-Christian, and how modern evangelicals are all retards.

If you are in the mood for a few hours of continuous laughter, I'd recommend this book. If you are looking for something that has actual substance to it, read something else.

• @sigurd-d-vinland just the name on its own sounds dodgy as hell tbh

• @siegward at first glance I expected just a compendium Native American poetry, perhaps some insight into their spiritual values and traditions and such, but instead I got the ancient left-boomerism

Looks like your connection to PaganPathway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.