The Chronicle of the Slavs, by Helmold

• Administrators

So I've been reading The Chronicle of the Slavs by Helmold, so I'll be sharing interesting excerpts from the book here. Some very interesting stuff in there, mainly about the Slavs, but also about the Danes, Swedes, and Saxons.
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    I think crucifying and sacrificing Christians in the name of the gods is indeed very Indo-European.

• Global Moderator

Cross-posting the points I made on Discord;

As much as I'd like to believe this, most of it sounds like Christian mumb-jumbo trying to make the Pagans appear as some demonic forces incarnate, some Devil worshippers.
    Their bad God they call 'Diabol'.
    Diabeł is literally 'devil' in Polish. I don't think the Slavs were even aware/paid attention of the concept of a devil, unless they were already infiltrated a bit by Christian beliefs. And I believe Chernobog-Belobog too was a Christian addition to Slavic Paganism for a smoother transition from native polytheism to Christianity. Chad Slavs though, I wish at least some of this is true. My article on Niklot and the Slavic sources I took information from made it seem like Niklot didn't harm any Christians, because he didn't want to give the Saxons a casus belli. This Christian chronicle here is making Niklot and the Polabian Slavs some demonic forces of evil lmao. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

• Great Slavdom

Although this sounds pretty cool, we should have in mind that the Slavs were more peaceful than their Germanic neighbours, and also that Christian monks often exagerated bad things about us, for anti-Slavic propaganda purposes. So yes, it is just like my brother @Ravo points out.

Concerning Prowe, I am more certain now that he is Perun, for an ox was sacrificed to him.

I also agree with you on the Crnobog-Belobog thing, I believe it is a fairly modern concept and disregard it, even if my other brother @FourOne doesn't agree with me.

EDIT: Ravo, if we are to ever meet and make a black metal band, we should use these texts as lyrics about torturing Christians, haha.

• Global Moderator

@stribor said in The Chronicle of the Slavs, by Helmold:

EDIT: Ravo, if we are to ever meet and make a black metal band, we should use these texts as lyrics about torturing Christians, haha.

I didn't realize how edgy this band would be if we based it on the Chronicle hahah. Good idea, I'll keep that one in mind. If I don't get into University; that'll be Plan B. I'll give you a call then.

• @Stribor I think that Chernobog came from Helmold misunderstanding the concept of Dola and evil spirits. Dola - a personification of fate and destiny, a protective spirit taking care of the house, property and offspring, granting happiness and success. She was a gift from the Gods, a force given by them to the man to help him in overcoming various struggles. Very similiar to the germanic concept of Hamingja. Helmold said that Slavs believe that there is one God directing the goods things in one's life and there is one God directing the bad things in one's life, perhaps he misunderstood what Rodzanice and Dola were.

• Great Slavdom

Great insight @Jakub !

Looks like your connection to PaganPathway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.